Friday, August 25, 2006

Culture to the max

I have been extremely busy this week being Indian to the max. Please consider:

Exhibit A: I entered a company-wide cricket match with a few guys who work near me. We won our first game on Tuesday so progressed to the second round on Wednesday, when we were sadly defeated by Finance. I was pretty terrible on Tuesday (probably -10 points or something) but on Wednesday I only contributed -1 points! (Still no idea how the scoring actually works, especially since they were using a completely bizarro system.)

Exhibit B: I went to a dance show Tuesday night with a few people from work. The dancing was pretty bad, but it was still great to get a flavor of Indian dance. There's so much focus on the extremities (hands, feet, head) that Western dance lacks. Going to look for a good place to take classical dance lessons as soon as I find a place to live.

Exhibit C: Celebrated Khrunio's birthday yesterday in the canteen. Indian birthday customs are a total riot. First we smeared birthday cake all over his face, then he got lifted up and everyone took turns kicking him. Can't wait till my birthday!

Exhibit D: I learned all the Hindi vowels AND vowel signs last night! So proud of myself. Being around so many people speaking so much Hindi at Khrunio's birthday yesterday made me realize that I need to start learning the language asap. Lunch today was also pretty much completely in Hindi...at least I know enough to laugh when everyone else is laughing...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home